‘I am not the man for PM’: Tharman

Sep 29, 2016 08.30AM |
 

ENOUGH already. Mr Tharman Shanmugaratnam doesn’t want to be the next Prime Minister of Singapore.

Quashing talk of being the next PM, he told reporters yesterday (Sept 28): “Just to be absolutely clear, because I know of this talk that’s going around, I’m not the man for PM.”

“I say that categorically. It’s not me. I know myself, I know what I can do, and it’s not me,” he added.

A recent poll by Yahoo Singapore this week showed the Deputy Prime Minister to be the respondents’ top choice for the job.

Speaking of the man for the job, Singapore’s highest court has ruled that both men and women can be guilty of sexual penetration of minors.

The judgment follows a controversial ruling earlier this year, when a trial judge acquitted a transgender man charged under Section 376A of the Penal Code, saying that the choice of words in the statute applied only to male offenders.

Zunika Ahmad, 40, had been charged with sexually penetrating a 13-year-old with a dildo several times over almost two years.

In overturning the High Court ruling, Chief Justice Sundaresh Menon said yesterday that Section 376A was “gender neutral and capable of applying to a female offender”.

More news in court: The former tour guide, Yang Yin, will be sentenced today for the 120 charges he was convicted of in May this year. He’ll be back in court again tomorrow to be sentenced for his other charges related to criminal breach of trust.

Meanwhile, teenage blogger Amos Yee yesterday pleaded guilty to his charges related to wounding the feelings of Muslims and Christians. He’s also back in court today for sentencing.

There was lots of drama happening out of court yesterday too.

A heated argument between a man and his girlfriend resulted in a 17-hour stand-off between the man and police that started on Tuesday evening (Sept 27) and ended at noon yesterday.

The 39-year-old man had locked himself in a Sembawang flat with his girlfriend’s two-year-old son. Negotiations led nowhere and the police finally broke in through a corridor window.

The man, who was unarmed, has been arrested for wrongful confinement and drug-related offences. The boy’s mother was also arrested. The boy is now in the custody of the authorities.

Train services on the Bukit Panjang LRT line were temporarily halted twice yesterday as engineers carried out urgent inspections following a track fault that crippled 15 trains the night before.

According to The Straits Times, there have been at least six incidents with the 17-year-old Bukit Panjang line this year, and 10 major breakdowns that lasted over 30 minutes last year.

 

Featured image from TMG file.

If you like this article, Like The Middle Ground‘s Facebook Page as well!

For breaking news, you can talk to us via email.