Explosives hit Dortmund team bus en route to Champions League match
GERMAN police are on the hunt for a brazen attacker. Officers comb a quiet street turned crime scene late on Tuesday (April 11) after a bus carrying the Borussia Dortmund football team was hit by three explosions.
The devices were planted in bushes on the side of the road, near the players’ hotel in what police say was a deliberate assault on players and staff.
Dortmund police chief Gregor Lange said, “We assumed from the start that the blast was a targeted attack on the Borussia Dortmund team. That is why we immediately activated the emergency plan to put all available police forces on duty.”
You, our readers, are the reason we exist. Your contributions allow us to bring fair and balanced news to everyone, regardless of the ability to donate. Support us by being our patron.
The players were on their way to a home match against Monaco when their bus was struck, smashing several windows.
Spanish defender Marc Bartra has been hospitalised and is undergoing surgery on his hand.
The attack sending shock waves through the European football community.
Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone said in Spanish, “I’ve nothing really to say. I’m speechless. I’m just concerned.”
Many fans were already at the club’s ground when word of the blast reached them.
The stadium announcing that the game had been called off and will now be played on Wednesday (April 12) night.
Featured image is a screen grab from Youtube.
If you like this article, Like The Middle Ground‘s Facebook Page as well!
For breaking news, you can talk to us via email.